[CLN-list] Anomaly when integer zero combined with extended float.

Ray Buvel rlbuvel at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 17:23:09 CEST 2006

On 9/6/06, Richard B. Kreckel <kreckel at ginac.de> wrote:
<snip>

> What really happens is that CLN detects that the result is an exact zero
> and represents it exactly as an integer, not as a floating point number.
>
> You may easily convince yourself about this by checking the return value
> of instanceof(r, cl_I_ring).

Thanks for pointing this out.  I need to modify my code to handle this
special case correctly.  As long as the result will be used in further
CLN calculations, this return value is useful.  However, once I
translate it to a Python type, it needs to be a floating point value
with the precision of the other operand.