[CLN-list] Re: Re: A good PC hardware for CLN ?

Fabrice Marchant fabricemarchant at free.fr
Thu Jan 26 10:46:17 CET 2006

>    1. Re: A good PC hardware for CLN ? (Joerg Arndt)
>    2. Re: A good PC hardware for CLN ? (Richard B. Kreckel)

  Thank you very much for your answers.

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:33:40 +0100
> From: Joerg Arndt <jj at suse.de>

> I invariably recommend AMD64 these days (socket 939).
>
> My off the shelf 2.2GHz system is on par with a 3.6GHz intel
> equivalent (EMT64(?), ex-pen-sive!) for the interesting stuff.  System
> is 2-3.5 times faster than Athlon at same clock.  Memory throughput is
> a dream.
>
> The timings given (by Granlund) are a true eye opener:
> http://swox.com/doc/x86-timing.pdf
>
> Today's intel 64bit cores are a lousy hack at best.
>
> Alternative architectures (PPC) might be fine but are surely
> much more expensive.

I'll follow you and the document : AMD64 !
Are dual core useful ?

I looked at the prices (France) in this cheap store :
http://www.ldlc.com/navigation/cat.html?sscat=140025&constructeur=C000000805&refParam1=PA069&refParam2=PA1112&paramValue1=Socket+939&paramValue2=

I noticed on this page :
- AMD Athlon 64 3700+ - 2.2 GHz, Cache L2 1 Mo Socket 939 0.09 micron - Core San-Diego (version boîte) 259,01 euros and
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ Socket 939 0.09 micron (version boîte) 338,99 euros.

> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:45:39 +0100
> From: "Richard B. Kreckel" <kreckel at ginac.de>

> Even without x86-64 Assembler code, the use of 64 bit Digits gives an
> very impressive performance gain. If you buy such a machine, make sure
> to run int in 64 bit userland if arbitrary precision arithmetic is
> important for what you're doing.

Please, what does 64 bit userland mean ?
Maybe recompiling your .cc sources for 64 bits will improve the speed too ?
Does g++3.3 is able to produce such code ?
Arbitrary precision arithmetic is a fun stuff and then very important to soften the hard life !

Sorry for my poor english language.
When I wrote : "Is the motherboard worthy ?", that didn't had any meaning.
I meant : "Is the motherboard important for speed too ?".

I wonder if processor cache size is important for integer computations with CLN ?
( I focus on integers. )
And RAM amount ? Dual channel ?

Can we forget hard drive perfs, hoping a huge RAM avoids to swap ?

Regards

Fabrice