Note: compilation problem / CLN / "missing libraries"

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at thep.physik.uni-mainz.de
Mon May 27 13:43:41 CEST 2002

On Sun, 26 May 2002, bullet.train wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I have had a long chase trying to compile GiNaC-
>
> The problem has been trying to compile the CLN tests and libraries.
>
> The symptoms are that the CLN test break and GiNaC fails to compile-
> compiler g++ --version 2.96 (nasty RH version)
> under linux
>
> the problem is caused by the following line in cln-config
>         libdirs=-L${exec_prefix}/lib
> If this is present then the compiler flags see -L/usr/local/etc/etc and then
> the compiler cannot find any of the usual libraries and so breaks this test
> and doesn't make.
>
> Commenting out this line with '#' fixes the problem.
>
> This is probably not a ginac problem- so this is for information only-

If the line -L/usr/local/etc/etc is present and the compiler does not look
at the usual places for the library as well then the compiler is broken,
since the -L flag only extends the path where libraries are searched, it
doesn't replace it.  I don't really think it is, though.  The problem must
be elsewhere.

>From GCC's documentation:

`-LDIR'
     Add directory DIR to the list of directories to be searched for `-l'.

Regards
<Richard.Kreckel at Uni-Mainz.DE>
<http://wwwthep.physik.uni-mainz.de/~kreckel/>