polynomial arithmetic over ginac

apinkus apinkus at xs4all.nl
Sat Aug 19 17:56:13 CEST 2000

Hi,

Parisse Bernard wrote:

> faster with NTL). Moreover, considering that the NTL compiled library is
> 2.6M, I prefer to finish my factorization code: one of my objective is
> to be able to run a free CAS on one of these linux-handheld PC one
> day...

I am a bit curious as to how you plan to use GiNaC as a CAS for PDAs? GiNaC
is meant to be
used  on a workstation with a c++ compiler, something I'm sure
you will have a hard time getting to run on a PDA given the memory limits.
Also, that would
require a text editor etc. PDAs are notoriously hard to use for programming
purposes, given
they have a small keyboard (if they have one at all) and small screen. A
completely different
experience from working on a workstation, I can assure you.
In fact, to make it useful on a PDA, the most important thing is actually a
good user interface.
And you will have a hard time designing a user interface that is different
from the calculator
metaphor. A calculator is not very suited for the more elaborate
calculations, where you actually
have to write a little program to solve the problem.

I have a little experience trying this. I ported yacas (a GPL'ed CAS) over
to the Psion series organisers.
But it is too clumsy to use right now (console on a PDA ;-) ). The dream is
of course
to be able to do some math stuff while away from your computer (perhaps
sitting outside
in a park in the sun somewhere ;-) ). The experience disappointed me a bit.
You need a good
user interface first.

Ayal