[CLN-list] compiler errors with intel c++

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at ginac.de
Sun Aug 21 16:02:13 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 08/14/2011 03:24 PM, Tamas Istvan wrote:
> complex/transcendental/cl_C_cis.cc(24): error: argument is incompatible
> with formal parameter
>
> var cos_sin_t trig = cos_sin(x);

Indeed. For some obscure reason Intel's compiler seems to dislike
functions named cos_sin. Compiling this innocuous little program:

int cos_sin();
int main()
{
     int x = cos_sin();
}

fails with the same error using ICC 12.0.5.

> What can I do to correct this?

Switch to one of the excellent free compilers out there: GCC or CLang!

(Please correct me if I'm being unfair to Intel, but GCC and CLang have
the added benefit that, unlike Intel, their developers really do care
about improving their product: they both have an open bug reporting
system and are, in most cases, quite responsive. A bug like this one
would be trivial to report and get fixed. I even failed reporting the
bug at Intel's site.)