[CLN-list] CLN 1.2.0

Joerg Arndt arndt at jjj.de
Tue Jan 22 07:24:36 CET 2008

* Richard B. Kreckel <kreckel at ginac.de> [Jan 22. 2008 13:07]:
> Dear Jörg,
>
> Joerg Arndt wrote:
>> The reasons that the CLN and GiNaC packages were a bit of a
>> maintenance nightmare were the things I mentioned in the
>> mail before.  These suggestions should be seriously considered.
>> Most fixes we needed were so tricky that I had to bother the
>> compiler folks pretty much constantly!
>

> What reasons in that other mail explain why CLN or GiNaC were or are a
> maintenance nightmare? They compile out of the box using GCC, they pass
> make check, install cleanly and generally work. If not, why not send a bug
> report?
>
> I hope you don't mean failing to compile with -W -Wall -Wconversion
> -Wsign-promo -Wsign-compare -Wunused -Wshadow -Wundef -Werror.

No, IIRC the issues were with strict aliasing (and, IIRC(2)
something with initialization order, I think we had a discussion
back then).  The compiler messages often left me clueless and
only the compiler people could point me to the underlying issues.

IIRC(3) the itanium arch was the worst and IIRC(4) we tagged
CLN etc as DOES_NOT_BUILD on the arch because nobody was much
interested in fixing there.

> Cheers
>    -richy.

regards,    jj