[CLN-list] Overriding read_number_bad_syntax on OS X

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Sat May 12 21:39:03 CEST 2007

On May 12, 2007, at 12:11 PM, Richard B. Kreckel wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Ron Garret wrote:
>>> When CLN was written, exceptions were not a mature specification nor
>>> technology: rethrowing an exception was undefined behaviour, and
>>> g++ created huge code when used without "-fno-exceptions". This
>>> has  probably
>>> changed meanwhile...
>> OK, but why hard-code a call to exit instead of (say) a user-
>> specifiable callback or something like that?
>> Is cln still being actively maintained?  Can I submit a patch?
>

> Sure you can!

Where do I send them?

> Frankly, I would much prefer throwing an exception than the present
> form of "user specifialble callback".

Actually, the present form is not even a user-specifiable callback,
it's  a hard-coded call to exit.

> However, I am very curious about the overhead incurred by compiling
> CLN without -fno-exceptions. If that really turns out to be
> negligible, I am all for throwing exceptions as that is so much
> more convenient. I suggest to start looking for the destructor
> overhead.

You don't need to compile the whole thing with exceptions enabled,
only the parser.  (And in fact, I think you don't even have to
compile the parser with exceptions enabled, just the error
functions.  That's basically what I did on Linux by "overriding"
their definitions and it seemed to work OK.  Of course, I never
stress-tested it for memory leaks.

Let me do some experiments and I'll report back.

rg