[CLN-list] recent Makefile change

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at ginac.de
Wed Sep 6 00:36:38 CEST 2006

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

>Just curious: Is there any technical reason for this recent change in
>the CVS version of CLN, or is that just for (non)readability?
>
>        * Makefile.in: Convert from $(VAR) to ${VAR} syntax.
>        * benchmarks/Makefile.in: Likewise.
>        [...]

No technical reason. Only readability and similarity with environments
like bash, wordexp(3), etc. where one wants this distinction. The
expansion of $(rm /) is quite distinct from that one of ${rm /}, there.
I've embarked on a little holy war since when I actually ran into a
related problem with command substitution. I believe it's evil to allow
command substitution where it doesn't make sense.

I hope there's no problem with this?