[CLN-list] A good PC hardware for CLN ?

Joerg Arndt jj at suse.de
Tue Jan 24 16:33:40 CET 2006

* Fabrice Marchant <fabricemarchant at free.fr> [Jan 24. 2006 00:10]:
>   Hi !
>
>   I used CLN lib on linux debian Woody and try now libcln3 on debian Sarge ( on a Athlon T-Bird 1GHz 400Mo RAM ).
> I think to buy a more recent PC computer.
> What kind of PC for CLN - processor INTEL or AMD - to execute speedly integer computations ?
> Is motherboard worthy ?

I invariably recommend AMD64 these days (socket 939).

My off the shelf 2.2GHz system is on par with a 3.6GHz intel
equivalent (EMT64(?), ex-pen-sive!) for the interesting stuff.  System
is 2-3.5 times faster than Athlon at same clock.  Memory throughput is
a dream.

The timings given (by Granlund) are a true eye opener:
http://swox.com/doc/x86-timing.pdf

Today's intel 64bit cores are a lousy hack at best.

Alternative architectures (PPC) might be fine but are surely
much more expensive.

--
p=2^q-1 prime <== q>2, cosh(2^(q-2)*log(2+sqrt(3)))%p=0
Life is hard and then you die.