[CLN-list] CLN on OS X, linking problem

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Mon Mar 14 20:21:49 CET 2005

OK, here's what I know (or at least what I think I know):

The most likely explanation of the cause of the problem is that my
shared libraries are being linked with gcc rather than g++.  So the
problem is most likely somewhere in the libtool configuration.  CLN
comes with its own libtool, which is the one that cln is presumably
using to build itself.  This libtool differs significantly from the
most recent version of GNU libtool.  There is also a libtool that comes
with the OS X development tools, which is, oddly enough, a binary. The
other two libtools are shell scripts.  I don't know which of these I
"should" be using.

So I may be able to solve the problem by simply telling libtool to use
g++ rather than gcc to do its linking (although I was under the
impression that relieving the programmer of this kind of
system-specific tweaking was precisely what libtool was designed to
do).  And since I don't understand the cln build process I don't know
how to inject this option into the process now.  I don't want to make
clean and start over because it's taken me a week just to get to where
I am.  There are some files that it took me literally dozens of hours
to compile.

Has anyone actually successfully built (and run) cln on OS X?  Is there
a quick-and-dirty way I can just relink my existing binaries with g++?
Or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

rg